Gamma Sigma Omega History
|Disclaimer: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated is not responsibility for the content and design this site.
Maintenance is under the sole direction of Gamma Sigma Omega Chapter.
June of 1943, a well-known Savannah white woman, Adeline Graham, died and the local
newspaper announced that the deceased woman had left property and funds “to
whomever might start a movement to establish an orphanage for Negro children.”
At the September 1943 chapter meeting, Frances Dye, told the other members what she
had learned from the announcement and the members of Gamma Sigma Omega did
what was required to found what is now called Greenbriar’s Children Center. Thus for
many years, Gamma Sigma Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and
Greenbriar Children’s Center, Inc. were almost synonymous. In addition to Gamma
Sigma Omega’s other service projects, Greenbriar was the chapter’s primary project,
which included raising funds, leadership, personal involvement, and service from the
beginning until approximately 1966 when Federal, State, and City funding became more
readily available to the Center.
Today, the Center is viable in the Savannah community meeting the needs of all races of
children and Gamma Sigma Omega Chapter makes yearly donations to ensure its
|Gamma Sigma Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa
Alpha Sorority, Incorporated was chartered May 29,
1943. The chartered members were Irene Pope
Alexander, Francis Clark Dye, Juanita Fogg Jennings,
Mattie Beverly Payne, Mayme E. Hubert Russell and
Martha Wilson, the first chapter president.